Thursday, June 9, 2011


Someone came into the shop today and gave me a box full of original panheads and cylinders.Along with that were these old flat head cylinders - could use alittle help identifying them? best i could find were old WR racing cylinders??????? I could be way off all i know is they aint panheads
thanks in advance!!!


  1. I have a number of K,KH,KHK cylinders an the screw in plugs on the side of base flanges as well as the style of the spigots machined to clear connecting rods look like some but not all cylinders I have.The -52 date stamped in flange sides precluded them from being KHK as they have -54 stamp.The valves lower collar being drilled was a factory method used to reduce valvetrane weight on high performance engines.If you find they have valve springs with an inner spring inside the outer spring
    I feel it would benefit you to remove one intake valve as if you find the following parts lower collar and an upper collar at each end of double valve springs an thompson roto cap above the height of upper collar It would be more then an even bet you have KR cylinders.The exception would be if you use a carpenters tape hooked to bottom edge of cylinder skirt and passed through the piston bore out the top and measure bore to top of bores length.If this effort shows the bore to be just short of 7" long you have the longer KHR or KHRTT cylinders which are 55 c.i. engine instead of 45 c.i. As the KR and more k model then not are all 45 c.i.

    This is a possible overly complete amount of information but if you spend a 1/2 hour measuring the bore length and removing a valve to see what parts it uses you could be in luck.

    I end up with about a grand in sets of the longer cylinders used on 55 c.i. engines if fins are decent and bore will clean up at no more the .030 oversize.

    Anyway this should be an interesting read even if you chose not to bother discovering exactly what cylinders you have.